My husband is a firefighter in the military and because of his job, he is forced to shave his face every single day. Shaving everyday makes his face break out so he got sent a (toxic-chemical filled) shave butter that he loved and used every morning. But since he is married to an Aromatherapist, I couldn't possibly let him continue using that toxic-fragrance filled shave butter! So, he asked if I could DIY/Hack him some non-toxic shave butter! That, is how I found this recipe!
This recipe is the perfect gift for any man in your life. However, this recipe doesn't just have to be for men! Continue reading for some more feminine essential oil blends that you can substitute for this recipe instead!
What you need:
1/3 cup of Coconut Oil (I recommend this one)
1/3 cup of Shea Butter (I recommend this one)
2 tbsp of Olive Oil (I recommend this one)
2 tbsp of Castile Soap (I recommend this one)
20 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil (I recommend Young Living)
20 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil (I recommend Young Living)
Directions for Recipe:
1. Make a double boiler using a small or medium pot filled with water and a glass measuring cup. Tip: The bottom of the glass measuring cup should not be touching or floating to the top of the water. If it is, then your water level is too high so just pour some out.
2. Add the Coconut Oil to the double boiler until it is melted.
Tip: Stir using a glass stiring rod (Like these) to melt it quicker
3. Add the Shea Butter to the double boiler and melt together with coconut oil.
Tip: You always want to add the Shea Butter last to your double boiler and then take it off the heat as soon as it is melted because Shea Butter is not a fan of heat for too long.
4. Add the Olive Oil to the double boiler and remove the mixture from heat and transfer to a glass bowl.
5. Add the Castile Soap to the mixture in the bowl.
6. Put the bowl in the refrigerator until everything has solidified.
Tip: It doesn't have to be rock solid, you just don't want it to be liquid. Take the bowl out of the fridge when it is the consistency of softened butter.
7. Whip the mixture for about three minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
8. Add the essential oils while whipping.
Tip: You can always add more or less oils than the recipe calls for if you want more scent. The Shea Butter scent is pretty strong! You can apply some of the butter on your arm to test if you need more oils.
9.Transfer your butter to an airtight glass container or jar.
Tip: Want to make this recipe with a more feminine scent? Use one of these combinations:
20 drops of Geranium Essential Oil & 20 drops of Jasmine Essential Oil
20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil & 20 drops of Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
20 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil & 20 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
20 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil & 20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil & 20 drops of Stress Away Essential Oil
Or come up with your own blend! Let me know what essential oil blend you used!
**Disclaimer** Please know that some links above are affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and then purchase the product, I will receive a small commission. The price of the product is exactly the same price as it would be without the affiliate link. I do my best to try to find the best rated products with the cheapest price tag for you. If you chose to purchase a product through my link, thank you for supporting me!